Friday, April 2, 2010

Dreams and other updates on Misty


I believe in dreams. I believe dreams are our mind's way of working through problems in our every day life. Working through our stresses. Finding solutions. Living vicariously through our own dreams. Letting the part of us that we suppress every day come out. Many times dreams are hard to understand. They are symbolic and archaic. They have hidden meanings that are hard to interpret. But sometimes those dreams are crystal clear.

Last night I had a powerful dream. A dream that I was a decade or more older, and working as a missionary in Africa. I was working with another midwife friend, Kelly. We had started traveling around Africa teaching the women how to be safe practitioners in the art of midwifery. Teaching the girls and women what herbs they can take, and how to harvest and keep them, in order to avoid pregnancy, treat pre-eclampsia, increase milk supply, ward off infection, and other useful things. Teaching them how to breastfeed and the importance of it. And, of course, delivering babies. Lots of them. During our missions in Africa we became experts at breeches, twins, and other variations from normal. It was an amazing and blissful dream. It is the whole of my goal in life.

I keep telling myself that I need to keep my eyes on the prize, as my friend Thomas says to me all the time. My life, and the successes (or failures) therein are my responsibility. I have to own it. And I want to love it. I have decided to look at it like my life has been filled with different challenges simply to prepare me for the awesome task ahead of me. Being a midwife is an awesome responsibility, and being a teacher to an entire nation of midwives is almost as big. I hope that I am up to it.

I don't remember if I blogged about this or not, but I completed my application to FSTM. I am just waiting now for my interview date to come through the wire. They have assured me that I *will* have an interview, so my application made it through the first step. I am not nervous or anxious about it, mostly I am just sad at the thought of leaving my wonderful, peaceful world here in south central Tennessee. But I have to keep my eyes on the prize. And the prize (currently) is my CPM and Florida License, which will allow me to become licensed anywhere in the USA that licenses midwives.

I have been worried a lot lately about my boys. My daughter has me to use as a role model for how to be a strong woman (at least, in my opinion I am a good role model). But my boys don't have a strong male role model in their life. I worry that they will grow up to be just like their father, and my father, and my uncle. It's not how I want them to be. I have somewhat become hyper focused on making sure that I do everything I can to show them how to be loving, compassionate, patient, slow tempered individuals who respect women. I wish that I had a male role model to offer them, but I do know that if we are closer to Jimmy, that he will be an amazing role model for my kids. At least until (*if*) I find the right man for my life.

I am opening a new blog. Those of you who are sneaky may have already noticed that there is a new blog on my list. It is not ready to be read yet, as I am still working on "building" it. However it will be called "Silence Us Not!" and will be a blog that is completely focused on activism of all kinds, everything that I support and try to be active in, with urgings for anybody to join me. I think it will be a neat blog, and as my fourth one to be opened..I think I can officially be called a blog addict!

5 comments:

  1. :) so glad to be able to read your blog (i'm bad at keeping up at blogs though! ) and pray for your journey and your kids. Try not to worry to much about your boys...never compare them to those "bad" role models or say things like "you're being just like your father"...that might prod them to just turn more toward that behavior. Just keep gently prodding them and they will see the differences themselves, in you and how you are :) I'm sure you know this kind of thing though... Oh, one more thing and not criticizing..it's just a pet peeve... midwives (and doctors,etc) don't DELIVER the babies....the mothers do :) you are "WITH WOMAN" and supporting her in delivering that child :) I'm sure you know that too, and it's just one of those phrases everyone uses...but i blogged about it being my pet peeve here lol:
    http://birthforecast.blogspot.com/2010/03/pet-peeve.html

    can't wait for the other blog too :) love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda! I appreciate your comments, and understand your side of it..I agree that a mother delivers her baby. However it is a correct use of the term "deliver" (compliments of dictionary.com)
    9. to assist (a female) in bringing forth young:

    as a fellow believer in freebirth, I understand your sentiment, however I have used the word correctly. part of my job as a midwife is to assist(whether in labor support, or assisting to deliver a shoulder dystocia, and everything in between) a woman in bringing forth her young. :)

    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the best midwifery books I have seen so far. It is great for third world countries!

    http://www.hesperian.org/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HB&Product_Code=B090R&Category_Code=ENG

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for that clarification...i think it's more what that word has come to be, instead of how you are using... most doctors just seem to act like it's all about what they do and even women don't get it about their own selves and bodies..sigh...plus i've had bad experiences w/ midwives not just doctors :( ...argh. But I get you :) and you rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely get what you are saying Amanda. Birth should be all about the power the mother has, and instead our society tries to take that power and give it to the attendant, which is not where it belongs. I believe it comes from an ancient, innate fear amongst men of the extreme power of the birthing woman. It used to be that men did not even go into the tent of a birthing woman because they feared they would be devoured by her power, that the power to bring forth life was the greatest power in this world. Men took over the process of birth as a way to try to own that power, because women should be "weak" and unable to care for themselves. Midwifery is so important in my opinion because it is women reclaiming that power for and with each other. I have very strict ideas of what a "good" midwife is, and I plan to stick to that idea when I am practicing on my own.

    I know that there are midwives out there who do not align with my views on midwifery. In fact I have worked with some. Many times the issue is how they were trained. I like the phrase "you can take the nurse-midwife out of the hospital but you can't take the hospital out of the nurse-midwife". I don't think too many people realize that nurse-midwives are trained differently than direct-entry midwives, and though I respect my CNM counterparts, I believe it takes a bit of a leap for them to go from hospital based practice to trusting in birth. Many of them never make that leap, even if they leave the hospital and start working OOH.

    Some of the things I have witnessed in birth rooms with midwives (both CNM and CPM) have horrified me. Have made me wonder if I have actually been called to this work. Have made me nauseated. Have made me fearful for the women delivering. Have made me start asking myself the hard questions.

    You *never* really know your midwife until you are in that birth room with her. No matter how nice she seems at prenatals, no matter how much you think you click with her, ultimately it comes down to that one last marathon, the most important part of your pregnancy, and some midwives are not who you thought once you get to the birth room. The question to ask someone who has had a baby with your potential midwife isn't "did you like her?" it is "would you birth with her again?" because the two answers may conflict with each other.

    I know, though, that I have been called to this work. I can't imagine doing anything else. And I have big dreams of changing the climate of midwifery. Helping midwives become the sisterhood they once were. Helping the next generation of midwives trust in birth and not be afraid of the next disaster, instead be competent practitioners who know exactly what to do during that next disaster. Helping women heal from traumatic previous birth experiences. Helping survivors of sexual abuse heal during their pregnancy. I know I will succeed in these things, because I have been called to them.

    ReplyDelete